A chronology of the XX Century
►1905: On the 2nd of March Pere Caldentey discovered the "Coves del Hams" (the Hams Caves). Five years later they were opened to the public
►1910: La "Colònia", whose fixed population started to rise in number, already consists of 20 men, 22 women and 33 infants.
During this period most habitants dedicate themselves to fishing. In the summer, many "Manacorins" (people from Manacor), attracted by possibility of taking a swim installed summer houses here with their own terrace with swimming pool
►1913: On the 24 October three nuns from the "Caritat", as well as taking care of the maintenance of the Parish, dedicate themselves to the health service and education of the youngest habitants. In July 1992, the lack of activity saw the closing of the convent. At present, the convent is used as a residential centre and is run by the Germanes de la Caritat (the sisters of the "Caritat").
►1920-1930: During this decade a public school was built and it saw the growing of the first hotels. However, the Hotel Félip, which still operates through out the year, was built at the beginning of the century and is more than 100 years old
During these years, the "Coves del Drach" and the Coves dels Hams were already attracting many visitors from all over the world.
Moreover, during this period, Porto Cristo was converted into a fishermen's port. Thanks to the seas natural resources and through the initiative of the fishermen the installation of fish stalls were approved and the first "Barques del Bou" (big fishing ships) were introduced.
Trough out this period Porto Cristo was made up of 300 fixed habitants in the urban area whilst 750 were dispersed in the countryside.
►1929: The first electrical station and telephone lines are installed and a minimum postal service is created.
►1932-1936: During these years the construction of a drainage system. Also plans begin to build a 100 long, 14 meters dock, where "llaüts" (typical Majorcan fishing boats) and "Barques de bou" (big fishing boats) and other crafts can be tied up.
►1936-1939: the Civil War produces a period of stagnation in the tourist and economic development. In the particular case of Porto Cristo, fishing, which was a non-rational way of feeding, was at its peak
►1936: On the 16th August the disembarkment of the republicans supervised by Captain Bayo takes place between Porto Cristo and Sa Punta de N'Amer (in the Sant Llorenç des Cardassar district). Due to this, for twenty days, Porto Cristo was known by the name of "Port Rojo". On the 4th September the troops were withdrawn.
►1940-1950: The Fishermen's Association was the first association to exist in Porto Cristo. During the post-war years and little by little, the town regained normality. During this period we see the opening of the first small shop, the first kiosk and the first hairdressers and the "Novedades" Cinema (1945-1975)
►1943: The first dock is constructed under the ownership of Jaume Vaque "Vermell"
►1948: The building work on "L'Església del Carme is finished.
►1951-1952: The "Martell" 100m long dike is built which extends along the Punta dels Pelats, working as a retaining wall against the waves
►1960-1970: During this decade a new phenomenon is born- that of mass tourism. In Porto Cristo, this economic boom produces great changes in life at this moment. It is at this particular time that bank branches, the first hotels and hostels appear. More over, the first important urbanistic reforms are completed
►1968: The "Moll del Ruiet" is built
►1969: The Nautical Club is created
►1969: Porto Cristo's football club is set up
►1980-1990: The second tourist boom is felt which gives us present day Porto Cristo
►1883: The first copies of the Porto Cristo Magazine are published
►1989: The September showers provoke the overflowing of the torrents and destroy part of the Nautical Club, and crafts stationed at the dock and the Pont del Ruiet
►1996: The local library is inaugurated